Physical Therapy App
Product Design / UX
The Physical Therapist app concept was conceived after going through PT to recover from a running injury. While a great doctor can provide knowledge and insight to ensure quick and successful recovery, the process felt like it could be improved from both the therapist and patient perspectives.
- Improve the recovery process by creating a simple tool to measure daily progress and track improvements over time with data insights.
- Bring clarity to exercises within a regimen with video tutorials.
- Increase adherence to regimen with push notifications when it’s time for a patient to run through PT regimen.
- Promote communication between therapist and patient with features that support sharing progress and asking questions in between office visits.
Physical Therapist Flow Chart
The PT app will provide Physical Therapists a way to:
- Access a library of exercises and create a PT regimen
- Prescribe an exercise regimen
- Check patients are following regimen
- Communicate with patients via messaging (text, video, photo)
- Review patient progress
- Revise an exercise regimen based on patient progress
- Complete a recovery phase and send next phase PT exercise plan
Patient Flow Chart
The PT app will provide patients a way to:
- Get push notification reminders when it’s time for PT regimen
- Access exercise regimen & view exercise instructions, videos and tips
- Mark each therapy session complete
- Choose difficulty/pain ratings for each exercise at end of session
- See overall difficulty/pain rating for individual sessions and over time
- See individual exercise difficulty/pain rating over time
- Communicate with Physical Therapist via messaging (text, video, photo)
- Receive messages and alerts from Physical Therapist
Patient Dashboard / Record a Session
- Help patients stick to a consistent regimen with push notifications and easy session tracking, logging and history tool
- Encourage adherence to regimen with Session Completion score.
- Bring visibility to progress over time with data from self-assessments taken during the exercise regimen sessions rating pain, mobility and effort.
- How-to videos and step by step content take the guesswork out of how to properly perform exercises.
- A timer function, ensures that patients do each exercise for the prescribed duration, before advancing to the next exercise in the set.
- If patients choose to skip an exercise because it is too difficult or painful, therapists can help to adapt the regimen to work better for the patient’s abilities and progress.
- Rating the three key components to recovery: pain, mobility and effort during the session gives a clearer picture of patient feedback since it is collected in the moment when the experience is fresh.
- Collecting ratings for individual exercises as well as the overall session will aid in tracking progress improving specific motions as well as overall improvement over time.
- A feature to add personal notes helps patients add reminders to their session that can call out why they may have had optimal or poor performance that day.
- The ability to message the therapist at the end of each session is a way to improve communication between the therapist and the patient in between visits. This also encourages the patient to provide meaningful, fresh feedback and input to the therapist at a point when the experience is clear.
Patient Dashboard / Progress Insight
- Filter progress data to gain greater insight
- Focus on a shorter segment of time within the treatment regimen for a focus on periods of improvement or setbacks
- View overall data from all exercises combined, or filter by specific exercises to focus on progress within a specific muscle group or movement.